Assistant Electrical Engineer
(Trainee Level Electrical Design Engineer)
Due to an increasing workload at our thriving city centre office, SVM Glasgow are able to create a new, exciting vacancy for a trainee Electrical Design Engineer. The right candidate will have the opportunity to work on high profile and technically demanding projects from the outset, making this a diverse and appealing opportunity. The projects we are currently working on include transport (rail, subway & bus interchanges), commercial, retail, residential and leisure venues. The duties of the role include supporting senior engineers/director on projects and areas of multi-discipline projects including design and undertaking project management on smaller projects with the assistance of other staff members. The successful candidate must be able to work under their own initiative and function well as part of a team. Good written and verbal communication skills are a necessity as is the ability to be focused on the needs of our clients.
- Good working knowledge of BS7671.
- Undertaking and assisting in site inspection and survey works
- Assisting in creating and developing designs for DNO connections, power distribution, lighting, earthing, standby power supplies, protection etc. in compliance with applicable standards, with the view to developing their skills in being able to increase their workload.
- Carrying out calculations and producing drawings for engineered designs.
- Supporting other members of staff.
- Project management of smaller projects from outset to completion. (Role will develop according to experience)
- Delivering multiple projects concurrently, whilst achieving completion within agreed timescales
- Continuous professional development and awareness of new technologies.
- Site & condition surveys.
- Attending design meetings and liaising with contractors and clients
- Following all internal Q/A and Health and Safety procedures.
To apply, please send in your CV and a covering letter, including current remuneration details to: Elise McLean, SVM Glasgow, First Floor, 84 Miller Street, Glasgow, G1 1DT, firstname.lastname@example.org
Desired Skills and Experience
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Experience as a time served electrician
- Further qualifications such as degree
- Demonstrable commitment to progress themselves further, with previous additional vocational and academic qualifications
- Railway experience advantageous.
- Experience in a design consultancy environment with an emphasis on electrical designs advantageous.
- Proficient in the use of design software including AutoCAD, Amtech & Hevacomp. (as applicable)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Good technical Electrical knowledge and experience in design calculations, generating design drawings and writing design/performance specifications.
- Knowledge of sustainable design & technologies.
Desirable but non-essential requirements:
- Experience within transport/railway projects.
- Driving licence.
In return we offer a competitive package, with unique bonus structure and a stimulating working environment where professional growth is guaranteed. This is an excellent opportunity for those genuinely interested in developing themselves and their career in the electrical design engineering industry. Would ideally suit a recently qualified electrician wishing to further their career within the design sectors.
About this company
SVM are a Glasgow based independent Building Services design consultancy, specialising in electrical design works within the railway environment. SVM are dedicated to the development of their staff members to ensure the client groups a highest level of service and response. Since the 2004 Glasgow establishment, SVM have witnessed a continued sustainable growth and have involvement with technically challenging rail environment and prestigious rail-associated multi £million projects such as EGIP, SDA, Borders Rail, Haymarket, Waverley, Queen Street and multiple other Stations. Projects are mainly Scotland, but projects are also being undertaken in London, Kent, Berkshire and throughout the UK. SVM Glasgow coverage is national.